Saturday 10 November 2012

Reflections on feedback


Reflections

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”
Søren Kierkegaard

 At first, when I thought about providing feedback to my peers my only thought (and emotion) was, “How on earth am I going to do this?” I felt as if I was  totally unqualified to comment much less give advice to anyone else. I felt I really did not know enough and in retrospect, this was largely true. I think I would have provided far better feedback if I had been at the same stage of my ILA as my peers were in theirs at the time. You don’t really understand something until you have done it yourself and in hindsight I feel I would have been far more helpful if I had experienced the same knowledge and emotions as my peers before commenting on their work. Comparing the quality of my feedback to my peers before I had completed the major posts of my blog with feedback made afterwards, shows the importance of having your own experience before trying to evaluate someone else’s.

I found that providing feedback on someone else’s blog helped me to clarify and understand some of the thoughts and emotions I had been having about my own ILA. To see that my peers had made the same observations that I am presently making; being able to compare experiences and agree on tactics helped me to feel as if I was heading in the right direction.

It was good to receive the benefit of someone else’s wisdom and their advice on what to look for when students fill in the questionnaires. Kerrie’s advice on checking for clarification on responses really hit a chord as I have started doing the stats on the students responses to Questionnaires 1 and 2 and have noticed quite a few responses that need clarification. Both ladies have also experienced the ILA from the viewpoint of an “outsider” as I have done, their advice and observations resonate so closely with mine despite them being different subjects and different age groups. I think we all agree that it would be a very different experience to develop and implement an ILA of our own, from scratch!

I felt really happy that some of my posts had helped my team mates with their research. Kerrie let me know that my annotated bibliography has helped her obtain some references that she found useful and Rachael found my explanation on search strategies helpful, prompting her to re-attempt a  ProQuest search. Coping with the isolation of distance education studies is made far easier when you are openly encouraged to reflect on your own thoughts and emotions as well as that of others. This type of communication is valuable wherever you are, but even more so when you’re doing distance education.  As I explained to Kerrie, getting her response made me feel as if a great weight had been lifted from my mind!

So, once again ladies, thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciated your insight and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment