Monday 28 January 2013

Reflection on giving and receiving feedback


I have just been listening to my lecturer’s feedback on my blog stage 1 again and have remembered how important it is to give and receive feedback.

She mentioned how my fonts and formatting are all over the place in some of my posts and it reminded me of the hours of angst I’ve had the past couple of days copying and pasting content from Word to my blog. For anyone listening out there...this is NOT the way to do it! If anything is guaranteed to mess up formatting and fonts it’s doing everything on Word first and then expecting to copy and paste all that beautifully formatted and illustrated work, as is, to your blog. So now I’m afraid it may have happened again and I will have to check all my posts all over again because I’ve left things too late to ask anyone else to do it.

My lecturer also mentioned the poor quality of the very first video I did. She’s right and I meant to fix it and post another one to demonstrate my “learning experience” and growth before I submitted Blog Stage 1...but forgot! So anyway, I’ve done a repeat of that video as a comparison with the old one and to showcase the “learning experience”.

I felt quite pleased to know that my annotated bibliography provided my lecturer with a new source of material about Inquiry learning. I have found Coffman's book very interesting and informative. I was mortified, however to hear about the number of typos and spelling mistakes in that post and fear it may be a problem with blog stage 2 as well as I do not have time to ask anyone to proofread it for me.

The advice she gave about topic sentences and starting with the idea first before mentioning the author has reminded me of all the valuable writing advice I received during the first course I did as part of this Master’s degree. It has also made me resolve to go over those notes again!

Apparently my lecturer enjoyed reading about the ISP.  I was quite delighted to hear that, as I had really had fun creating that post, it is one of my favourites too.

As much as I enjoy receiving feedback - part of the feedback that I received from my lecturer was to inquire about feedback I had provided to my peers, and what I had thought of the experience.  So the rest of this post will describe what it felt like to critique someone else’s blog.

I suggested to Kerrie that she make more use of hyperlinks in her posts. For instance, instead of saying  “refer to figure 12”, perhaps just turn the words “figure 12” into a link to that spot.  I suggested it as I think it often makes text easier to follow. I picked up a couple of typo’s and sentence structure “glitches” as well. I find that it’s very hard to pick up places where I have not expressed myself very clearly and I am grateful for someone else’s “fresh eyes” to pick up any logic errors I may have made.
It was good to read her blog and see that she had had similar dilemmas to mine as she was also a spectator to an ILA rather than a creator of one. I let her know that I enjoyed her screenshots of students’ comments to help the ILA “come to life”.

I agreed with her on many of her observations about student learning and wrote,  
Good points about intervention and massive amounts of explanation being required at most points of the ILA. I think that often we, as teachers, and as adults tend to take for granted that students understand a lot of things that they don’t really understand. For instance, I was quite surprised that the students I was observing really didn’t understand the concept or meaning of primary data and secondary data (Year 9), even though it was explained (in writing) within the ILA documentation. I think we often underestimate students’ need for concrete, hands-on experiences before verbal or written explanations.

Giving and receiving feedback is very powerful as it forces one to think more closely about one’s own efforts, thus increasing metacognitive abilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment